Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
TofuFishy
Council Member
Send Message
Post Tauriel
on: February 23, 2013 05:09
There will be information that may be considered spoilers in this post.

I recently heard that Peter Jackson is considering inserting an original character of sorts into The Hobbit--an elven lady named Tauriel. She is apparently supposed to be an expanded version of a character from the books that only appeared for a very brief time (who was also originally male?). The captain of the guard, I think? I wondered what everyone else's opinion is on the possible inclusion of Tauriel in the future films.

I personally am against this. Now, I never read The Hobbit but according to all the things people are saying, Tauriel would change canon information a little too much for my liking. I don't mind the genderswap because the captain of the guard is supposed to be a character who wasn't even in the story for very long but to expand on their character and make them a possible love interest of Kili's? That would change the story in some ways, wouldn't it? Tolkien didn't write anything even close to that and so, I disapprove.

Note: I admit that I do NOT have the best sources and I'm not sure where everyone else is drawing this information from. If you know, I'd love to read more into this!
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
Post Re: Tauriel
on: February 23, 2013 06:09
PJ is more than considering it. Tauriel will be in the next film. They've already made a Tauriel action figure. I'm personally against this, too. However, I'd have to see Tauriel in the film before I make any more comments, otherwise anything I say is mere speculation. I don't know how large a role she'll be playing other than that as captain of the guard. I do believe, though, that the supposed Kili/Tauriel love interest is just a rumor spread by imaginative fans with a dark sense of humor.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2013 07:54
Yes this is true. And when I got the action figure (Gotta collect them since I didn't for the LOTR...)the description of her made me cringe for it sounds like she's going to be a MarySue...but I'll go into the theater for Movie two expecting the worse for that character and hoping for the best. Once I see what she's like in the movie then I'll judge.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
TofuFishy
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2013 12:11
Quote from Lastiel_Rusc on February 23, 2013, 17:54
Yes this is true. And when I got the action figure (Gotta collect them since I didn't for the LOTR...)the description of her made me cringe for it sounds like she's going to be a MarySue...but I'll go into the theater for Movie two expecting the worse for that character and hoping for the best. Once I see what she's like in the movie then I'll judge.

What is the description for her, if you don't mind sharing?

But geez, these movies aren't even out yet and they're making figures of characters who we haven't even seen before? Not very smart. What if the audience doesn't like the character? They're putting pressure on themselves...
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2013 02:57
I don't like how Peter can just create a character and add it in to the Hobbit. However i will see the movie first then i can make my judgement on Tauriel.
Nevaratoiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2013 09:06
I'm not surprised at this.

He made the Rivendell elves help the people of Rohan at the battle of Helm's Deep, where there were not supposed to be, and killed off Haldir in said battle.

He changed many things in The Hobbit storyline. Not only he made a trilogy of one book, he also changed the way Bilbo and the dwarves went through the adventure. In the book it's more luck than wisdom they came out of the mountains, in the film(s) he made the dwarves capable fighters.

So, I'm really, really not surprised.
~Nev~
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: February 23, 2013 11:04
Like the others, I'll wait to see her in movie 2 before making up my mind; but at the moment, based on what has been written about Tauriel so far, I can't think of anything I'd like about her.
As for the romance part, I'm afraid it will be there, albeit as a one-sided crush from Kili's side (hinted at in one of the cast interviews I believe). I can't say I like that idea at all; I loved the singularity of Gimli's adoration for Galadriel in LotR, and I don't really need to see other Dwarves falling for Elf-women. That would take part of the magic away for me.
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2013 02:51
Quote from TofuFishy on February 23, 2013, 22:11
Quote from Lastiel_Rusc on February 23, 2013, 17:54

What is the description for her, if you don't mind sharing?

But geez, these movies aren't even out yet and they're making figures of characters who we haven't even seen before? Not very smart. What if the audience doesn't like the character? They're putting pressure on themselves...

Okay to address your first question:
A Sylvan Elf, this Daughter of Mirkwood is as deadly as she is beautiful. A favorite of King Thranduil and Captain of the Woodland Guard, it is her job to follow the orders of the King without question. However, Tauriel has a strong will and unyielding passion for what she believes is right. An expert fighter, her signature weapons include twin daggers and a bow and arrow. Like Legolas, Tauriel is extremely fast and agile in battle. Although she has lived for many hundreds of years in Middle-earth she remains one of the youngest of the Elven folk, and has rarely ventured beyond the borders of the great forest.

So to me the words deadly as she is beautiful, favorite and expert fighter screams out Marysue, not to mention the fact that it does not even state one flaw... I don't have enough information about her yet so I'm only making my observation off of the little information that I have.

And actually these figures were made before Peter Jackson announced that it was going to be three movies. I grabbed my figures before they were removed from the shelves (if they were).
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2013 02:59
Oh! Also ~nólemë~ I read somewhere about Bard the Bowman and Tauriel, for a possible relationship thingy.

Nevaratoiel, I'm not disagreeing with anything that you've said, cept about the Rivendell elves, it was Lothlorien warriors (Haldir is a Lothlorien warrior so it would make sense for the men under his command to be Lothlorien also. As for the message from Elrond, he and Galadriel could speak with their minds {don't quite get that Tolkien never even really explained it that well I think} so that's how the message could have gotten to them). They are closer to Rohan, and I think he was trying to show that the elves don't just sit and watch things happen. And it would be difficult to introduce us to all of the Grey Company in the amount of time that they were allowed to have in the movie. (keep in mind I'm not trying to defend the change but give a guess to an explanation of why for the Grey Company.)
Taug anin ú-daug.
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: February 24, 2013 06:20
Quote from ~nólemë~ on February 24, 2013, 09:04
As for the romance part, I'm afraid it will be there, albeit as a one-sided crush from Kili's side (hinted at in one of the cast interviews I believe).

I'm going to stubbornly cling to the idea that it's all a bad joke. I don't want to see any crushes or romances. For the luvaTolkien, pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease let it be a joke.........
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
AinarielPalantir
Maiden of Nienna and Éomer`s Loyal Puppy
Send Message
on: February 24, 2013 04:14
I couldn't agree more with Linwe about that romance... Please, please, let it be a rumor and a joke. I can handle adding and changing things if there's even some kind of support and basis for it in the books but if things start showing up that are completely made up... That I don't like. And adding a crush to the Hobbit would be exactly that.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2013 08:29
All this is mere speculation. We must try not to think of all these awful scenarios! In a little over 9 months, we will have the answers we seek.
We all know that Jackson gives us many surprises and Tauriel is one of them. Jackson changes who does what and who says what. But then, why make an action figure of Tauriel if her part in the story is insignificant? We will have to wait to see The Desolation of Smaug to find out.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Nevaratoiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2013 10:20
Quote from Lastiel_Rusc on February 24, 2013, 12:59
Nevaratoiel, I'm not disagreeing with anything that you've said, cept about the Rivendell elves, it was Lothlorien warriors (Haldir is a Lothlorien warrior so it would make sense for the men under his command to be Lothlorien also. As for the message from Elrond, he and Galadriel could speak with their minds {don't quite get that Tolkien never even really explained it that well I think} so that's how the message could have gotten to them). They are closer to Rohan, and I think he was trying to show that the elves don't just sit and watch things happen. And it would be difficult to introduce us to all of the Grey Company in the amount of time that they were allowed to have in the movie. (keep in mind I'm not trying to defend the change but give a guess to an explanation of why for the Grey Company.)

Good you agree with me.

Haldir literally says: "I bring word from Elrond of Rivendell. An alliance once existed between Elves and Men. Long ago we fought and died together. We come to honour that allegiance."

Wouldn't he have said; 'I bring word from Elrond of Rivendell and Lord Celeborn (and Lady Galadriel) of Lothlorien' he were with both Rivendell and Lorien warriors? That part made me say that Haldir came with Rivendell Elves.

Also, if you watch the scenes of the Elves standing on the walls of Helm's Deep, you see that most of the Elven warriors are dark haired. I might be mistaken, but aren't Rivendell Elves typical to have dark hair, and the Lothlorien Elves have silver or golden hair?

It might be me though...
~Nev~
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2013 10:22
Agreed Lindarielwen, but I think we should enter the theater expecting the worse for that character and hoping for the best. Since, if I am correct, Peter Jackson did not add any characters in LOTR so we do not know if he can add one and have it work well or not. I've got my fingers crossed for the best!
Taug anin ú-daug.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2013 10:45
Lastiel_Rusc, let us go to the cinema expecting a wonderful movie that will stir our hearts!!
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2013 12:25
Oh I know the movie will! It's just the small bits that may or may not fit I'm worried about. At the very least we all get to return home once again, and that is all that matters.
Taug anin ú-daug.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: February 26, 2013 08:59
Tauriel is the thing that has me worried the most. But I guess it is wait and see.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2013 11:13
Nevaratoiel, um... I know that Silivan Elves tend to have blonde hair,and Noldor tend to have dark hair, but below is something that I found off of a Wikia talking about the hair color

Their hair color varied; but the basic rules were that the Noldor generally had dark hair (brown or black), the Vanyar golden, and the Teleri silver or dark. (found from http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Elves)

As for the thing about Helm's Deep I thought the majority of them had golden...eh I'll have to re-watch the movies here soon. But the key bit about what I found from the Tolkien Gateway is that their hair color varied, so it's not a set rule.
Taug anin ú-daug.
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 02, 2013 02:44
This is going to be poorly written because it's almost 3AM and I'm really tired.

The inclusion of the Elves at Helm's Deep makes sense from a movie perspective. Granted, it did change Tolkien's works, but for the viewer unacquainted with the books, it brings everything full circle. If Jackson had simply dropped the Lórien Elves after The Fellowship of the Ring, viewers might perceive it as a loose end. But to explain their absence from future events as being due to defending their own lands from Dol Guldur would require a lengthy deviation from the main plot. Remember, Tolkien didn't explain this until the Appendices, but it was probably more necessary to explain in the movies because viewers could watch them all back-to-back in a few hours rather than read the books over a few days or weeks. The lack of Elves after Fellowship wouldn't go over well.

When I say it brings everything full circle, I mean this in the same sense that creating the additional back story in An Unexpected Journey where Thranduil betrays the Dwarves brings things full circle. (Maybe "full circle" isn't the phrase I'm looking for, but oh well.) Viewers unacquainted with the millennia-old grudges between the Elves and Dwarves as relayed in The Silmarillion need a suitable explanation for this feud. The resentment begins in this back story that Jackson invented so that it can be understood later on in the trilogy.

So similarly, having the Elves appear at Helm's Deep gives some closure to that thread of the story, because otherwise Lórien's Elves are just sitting there doing nothing. Unlike Rivendell's Elves who are seen leaving, there would be no explanation for the lack of involvement of the Elves of Lothlórien apart from that. And it adds a bit of warm'n'fuzzies that show to the audience that all Elves don't hate Men. This sort of counters the rather one-dimensional character of Elrond in the movies.

But I think Jackson's addition in The Two Towers will work for his advantage. Since the White Council attacks Dol Guldur and chases out Sauron during The Hobbit, there will be a fight there. Since Dol Guldur isn't mentioned at all in The Lord of the Rings movies, that means that its arch must already be closed (of course it was omitted for other reasons, but I think its lack of mention in the LOTR trilogy will be a good thing). In the books, Dol Guldur is a constant threat until after Sauron is defeated in Mordor, but we never see Galadriel destroy it in The Return of the King. Why not, then, have her destroy it in There and Back Again? This would give more closure to Sauron's presence in The Hobbit and allow for a more stark transition to Mordor. It would allow Dol Guldur to be completely gone by the time of The Two Towers for Haldir to lead troops to aid at Helm's Deep. And it would give Jackson one more really awesome CGI fight scene where he could demonstrate Galadriel's powers, which honestly I'm excited for despite the excess in CGI in the first Hobbit movie.

Sorry this post is so long and poorly thought-out. And since this thread is supposed to be about Tauriel in the first place, I agree with all of you about her. If there is any Elven-Man or Elven-Dwarf love, I'll probably only see this movie twice in theaters instead of three or more times.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2013 12:26
Cillendor, that is very well thought out for 3am! But I also found this that explains more of Thranduil's 'betrayal' of the dwarves, Image. But it is additional back story that Peter Jackson is not allowed to use due to it being in HOME, I like that drawing since it gives a very good reason of why Thranduil decided to stay away from the Dwarves problems.
Taug anin ú-daug.
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2013 01:23
Hm that is interesting, and a beautiful piece of art too. It just makes me more excited to see the Mirkwood Elves in the next movie.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2013 01:46
Yup, I'm kinda wondering what kind of history, or information that they are going to put in for the Mirkwood elves. As in are they going to be portrayed as partiers, warriors or a combination of the two? I'm hoping for a nice combination of the two, but we will see here in about 9 months or so.
Taug anin ú-daug.
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2013 02:01
Well if the LEGO tie-in sets are any indication, they'll be shown as partiers. They've already released the barrel set, and it comes with a couple of kegs, some wine bottles, and many glasses. It also comes Tauriel, so does that mean that she is the Elf guard who gets drunk and allows the prisoners to escape? I kind of hope so.

Of course, we know that Legolas is a kick-butt fighter, and Tauriel is the officially-female Legolas, so she must be a good fighter herself. I'm guessing you'll get your wish.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2013 10:26
Good, I was (am) worried about the parting part. But as for Tauriel, from what I've read she sound like Marysue, though before I fully like, or dislike her I'll have to wait. Cuz an 'officially-female Legolas' doesn't sound like a good add in, if you know what I mean.
Taug anin ú-daug.
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 09, 2013 02:57
Haha yeah I just said that because Legolas is so effeminate. But I guess that's a trait of Elves in general, being much more physically gender-neutral. Unless, of course, you're Círdan with the beard or Agent Smith with a wig.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2013 02:59
Ah okay I see what you mean. LOL
Taug anin ú-daug.
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2013 11:27
I came across something interesting just now. Our very own Galadivren has a website with her own Sindarin course on it. In one lesson, she talks about how to form names. at the bottom of the page is a note of warning to include an all-important feature of Sindarin grammar in your name-making:

/au/ in a word changes to /o/ when combining with a suffix. In the instance of our dear Tauriel, her name ought to be Toriel, going off of this rule. That doesn't sound so pretty, though, IMHO. Anyway, just an interesting thought.
Belegolas
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2013 08:39
PJ had to put in Tauriel because there always has to be one pretty female warrior. That's why Arwen took over Glorfindel's job in FOTR. Eowyn was not in the story yet, so he had to give her job to somebody. The Hobbit otherwise does not have a single beautiful warrior princess type character mentioned, so the void had to be filled. Personally, I'm trying to keep my opinions neutral and wait on judging until the movie. She does look kind of Sue-ish, but with some good writing and character development, PJ might pull it off. The Kili romance thing is just weird, though. At least I hope she doesn't like him back. I might barely be able to see a dwarf liking an elf. (Not counting Gimli/Galadriel.) I cannot picture an elf liking a dwarf, no matter how little beard he has.
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2013 04:19
Oh tumblr, I found what I consider a suitable explanation for the Tauriel thing (minus her name being spelled incorrectly).

Quote from lorienscribe
Quote from awildellethappears
Quote from lorienscribe
I’m actually really p***** off about Tauriel. The series doesn’t need that sort of thing and although I’m a huge fan of Peter I think he should have just stayed with the original storyline Tolkien created.

I’m actually really p***** off that Tauriel is being made into the symbol for everything that’s “wrong” with the Hobbit movies.

What makes her so much more egregious than other changes to Tolkien’s storyline? Why do people need to slam her exclusively rather than have a more balanced look at the changes that happened? Since OP must obviously either have seen tDoS already, or else seems to be psychic —- go on, tell me what “that sort of thing” is, please? I don’t want to use the m-word or the s-word, but people are making it really easy.

I just love how an entire movie series hinges on being ruined by - gasp - a female character who was not named in the book. Tauriel very much exists in the world. In the book we do have an unnamed Mirkwood guard (who gets drunk, I believe.) Or, Tauriel could easily be one of the other guards that bring the dwarves in.

I personally love that Jackson is taking this route. We do have notes from Tolkien that female elves have and do engage in battle if need be. And I cannot see any reason why anyone in Mirkwood would NOT be trained for battle. Mirkwood is a dangerous place to live in, and one would expect that the inhabitants would be a bit rougher than another community. I got that sense from the sneak peak. Tauriel was among many female Mirkwood fighters, and they each had the same rough demeanor that I do not detect from the elves of Lothlórien nor Rivendell (or I may be just obsessively studying these Behind the Scenes takes.) They were still as graceful and ethereal as any elf, but there was more, that aura you get from anyone who’s lived in a rough neighborhood.

If it’s the “romance” you’re worried about (though it sounds more like a one-way crush), well, there are hints of it in the book too. The chapter “The Gathering of the Clouds” there is this segment:

Quote from The Hobbit: "The Gathering of the Clouds"
Then Bilbo longed to escape from the dark fortress and to go down and join in the mirth and feasting by the fires. Some of the younger dwarves were moved in their hearts, too, and they muttered that they wished things had fallen out otherwise and that they might welcome such folk as friends; but Thorin scowled.

So Gimli wasn’t the first dwarf to see beauty in the elves. The younger generation in general had a greater likelihood to want to open up to the elves; it’s a set up for when Legolas and Gimli become friend, patching up (in a way) the tension between the two races. The songs from the elves moved Fíli, Kíli, and whatever other younger dwarf there was in the company. Thus, I do not see it as being much of a stretch that Kíli would see beauty in Tauriel. The younger dwarves in general were more open to seeing what their ancestors couldn’t, or refused to, see.

That post greatly reduced my qualms about Toriel's character. Before, I was reluctant with a wait-and-see attitude, but now I am much more at ease with it. Jackson may step out of the lines a little bit, but so far none of the changes he's done have come close to having Arwen appear at Helm's Deep or having Sauron challenge Aragorn in the form of Annatar as were originally planned for the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2013 06:16
LOL! Agreed! Having seeing that sneak peek and spotting many other female elven warriors has 'calmed my nerves' (LOL). And having seen other members of the elven guard in that sneak peak has me wanting to update/add some of my Dagorhir garb to include one of those undershirts that you notice the female warriors(mostly female I think) and Tauriel... /sigh Now what kind of fabric do they use for those shirts....
Taug anin ú-daug.
TariVendice
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2013 05:46
I'm quite nervous about Tauriel because, as others have said, she seems like a Mary-Sue. While there's nothing wrong with a tough female character (Eowyn was fantastic of course) I have a feeling that there will be a bit of a 'forced' aura around her because the character doesn't really belong there since she wasn't in the book. I think because she doesn't really belong, they'll be trying a little too hard to make her fit and it won't feel right. I'll wait and see, of course, but I'm not going in with high hopes.

On a personal note, my Elvish name/'persona' has always been Tariel, so that kind of sucks, lol. I'm gonna be associated with the new-elf-chick forever now, haha.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2013 12:00
When we find out what a wonderful character Tauriel is, you will be delighted that her name resembles yours. I do know, from the sneak preview, that she is a bodyguard to Thranduil and she was in a fighting scene and appears to be a good warrior. In about 8 months, we will all know.
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2013 11:29
TariVendice said:I'm quite nervous about Tauriel because, as others have said, she seems like a Mary-Sue. While there's nothing wrong with a tough female character (Eowyn was fantastic of course) I have a feeling that there will be a bit of a 'forced' aura around her because the character doesn't really belong there since she wasn't in the book. I think because she doesn't really belong, they'll be trying a little too hard to make her fit and it won't feel right. I'll wait and see, of course, but I'm not going in with high hopes.

On a personal note, my Elvish name/'persona' has always been Tariel, so that kind of sucks, lol. I'm gonna be associated with the new-elf-chick forever now, haha.

What's the etymology of Tariel?

Lindarielwen said:When we find out what a wonderful character Tauriel is, you will be delighted that her name resembles yours. I do know, from the sneak preview, that she is a bodyguard to Thranduil and she was in a fighting scene and appears to be a good warrior. In about 8 months, we will all know.

It seems as if in Thranduil's courts, it's not uncommon for She-elves to fight. As they live in the one safe haven in a tiny corner of an evil forest, everyone knows how to fight (really, it's similar to the Rohirrim).
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
Only, among the Rohirrim, women are not employed in the military. As the Mirkwood Elves throw parties in spider territory (with the Necromancer on the loose in the southern part of the forest) without anyone standing watch or senses alerted (Elven hearing, and they didn't hear 13 Dwarves approaching even once...), it seems the life in Northern Mirkwood isn't really all that dangerous.
I am not buying this chick fighter stuff. It's unoriginal and untolkienesque for me.
And I must add I feel somewhat miffed as a woman to see it implied by PJ's team that all great/admirable women are only those who know how to fight. Arwen got her deal of sword-waving in LotR, and now there's Tauriel, and a fair chance of Galadriel brandishing a weapon in Dol Guldur.
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
Well you just shot that down, lol. I didn't mean that Rohirric women are in the military, just that they know how to fight.

Also the argument could be made that Tolkien didn't consider the Necromancer or the spiders that big of a threat at the point of writing The Hobbit, but that once incorporated into the larger mythology, Mirkwood became a much more dangerous place.

I'm not really for it or against it at this point, though I see what you mean and mostly agree in general. I want to see how the Mirkwood Elves are portrayed before casting my judgment.

If Galadriel wields a weapon, I will too—straight to New Zealand. #kiddingbutonlyslightly
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email